Sunday, December 28, 2008

Gotcha Day!



So yes of course we woke up at midnight! How that is possible when we are so tired is beyond me... We finally went back to bed around 4, but I remember the clock at 5:30.........
The driver picked us up at 10am to head to the orphanage. Olga was waiting for us when we got there. I was so relieved to have Olga with us to translate for us. When we arrived they told us that Jacob was outside playing. Olga helped us to distribute gifts to the orphanage children and to the workers. Then they brought Jacob out. The woman gave him to me and then ran away because he was crying. We dressed him in our clothes that we brought for him (they brought him out in a turtle neck and tights) and put on all of his outdoor gear and we left. That was it! We didn't see anyone except the caregiver and the assistant director. I guess I was thinking that the good-bye would be a bit bigger. I was feeling so bad for him when we left. Taking him away from everything that he knows just breaks my heart. Our driver actually had a carseat for him which we had to work really hard to buckle him into. With all of his outdoor gear we had a hard time getting him buckled in.
When we got back, we brought him in and he immediately spotted toys and just started to play. As the day went on he warmed up to us more and more. Lunch was fun. I forgot how messy young children are. Lindsey bought a bunch of hamburger, potatoes and carrots. She made mashed potatoes, cooked carrots and meatloaf and shared it all with us. She was able to feed Hudson several days in the orphanage before they brought him home and got a good idea of when he was eating there. She cooked up all of that food before she picked him up on Saturday. it is so convenient for us- all we need to do is heat it up at meals. (Lindsey picked up Hudson on Saturday.)

He napped fine. We had a good idea of when his naptime is from our visits to the orphanage. He whimpered for a few seconds when we laid him down to sleep, but was sleeping instantly.
After his nap he was quite fun. He got more energetic and happy as the day went on. We went up to Jon and Janice's for dinner - we took our dinner up there. Wow did Jacob eat. We gave him his usual with some applesauce and a pancake from breakfast. I think that he was starving. Jeff and the guys went to the store earlier and bought rotisserie chicken. Jeff and I ate that and Jacob kept putting his spoon in my plate for some. He ate everything on his plate plus lots of chicken. He is going to have to teach his big brother how to eat. :) I didn't think that he would ever get down from the table. He just ate and ate and ate. He was this first one to the table and the last to leave.
We gave Jacob a sponge bath when we got close to bedtime. He seemed to sense that bedtime was near and got pretty upset. This is the first tantrum that we saw him throw. We tried to read to him but he was pretty upset. I put him in his bed and rubbed his back. He cried for about 10 minutes and then went to sleep.
It seems like we had a pretty good day. Things went more smoothly than I had anticipated. Now I am ready to bring him home and move on with life...
Tomorrow we go to register for a passport and get Jacob's medical exam. We will be hanging with the Carney's all day. I think Olga will be accompanying us.







We are getting him changed from his orphanage clothes to the clothes that we brought from home and coat, boots, hat, mittens and yes snowpants!






Here we are standing with Olga (our coordinator) just outside of the orphanage...














We are outside of the orphanage.














Good bye child home 13!














Here we are just outside of the gates of the orphanage. Just beyond the gate is the orphanage and you can see the kids outside playing. One of those kids is Liza, the Bruner's daughter. They leave to pick her up this weekend!









Here we are just inside of the Embassy gates. We are waiting in the entry way for Jon. Since we are visitors we needed him to escort us in and out.











Here we are standing with Janice, Jon's wife. We are just inside the gate of the embassy, but no longer in the entry way.








No comments: