We started our morning out at the Department of Education at 10am where we spoke with the director. We needed to register our passports, visas, and travel schedule there. We met Olga and Anna when we arrived. Olga and Anna work with Adopt A Child which is who Bethany works with in Russia. We spoke with Anna and Olga while we waited for our appointment with the director. They prepared us for the visit and the questions that the director would ask. Wow - I wasn't prepared for this part! They told us that she may ask: why we chose to adopt? why we chose Russia? what have we done to prepare our living area for the adoption of a child? tell her about ourselves and our living area... I told Jeff that he could do the talking... It turned out to be easier. She just asked us one question and that was how we had prepared our living area for adopting a child. She turned out to be very nice. Olga was with us in the meeting and translated for us. They granted us access to visit the orphanage.
After the meeting at the department of education we headed to the orphanage. When we arrived, we saw some children outside playing. The other couple (Jene and Kyle) that is traveling with us saw their little girl playing outside. It was neat to watch them connect. Then all of a sudden they turned a stroller around that had Konabek in it. What a cutie! He seems to have a permanent frown on his face, but we did eventually make him smile and even laugh. It was quite funny. I felt like it was easy with Konabek because we didn't need a translater with him. The children were so bundled up! The all had snowpants, coats, hats, scarves on! It was only about 50 outside! We we able to hang out with him outside for maybe an hour and then the children had to go in for lunch.
We then went in and spoke with Julia the resident physician. She gave us the medical history and we were able to ask any other medical questions that we had. After this we met Konabek in a nursery or playroom that was upstairs in the orphanage. We were able to play with him for about the next hour. It was really fun. After awhile he finally opened up and started to act silly.
We went back to the hotel for awhile and then headed back to the orphanage again at 4:30. Konabek naps from 9:30 - 11 and then from 2-4. We were only able to go to the orphanage when they allowed it. We stayed at the orphanage until about 6 - 6:30ish and then came back to the hotel again. The drive is horrible... We tend to spend more of our day in the car than anywhere else... :)
We dined at MacDonald's.. I think that it is the first time that I have eaten there in ages... The price was right - i had to get over it. We met Jen and Kyle over dinner and chatted about our day. It is so cool to have another couple to connect with after an emotional day like this.
(Jeff)
The toughest part of the morning was the car ride, Moscow is like New York city...lots of traffic and you have to be an aggressive driver to get anywhere, so lots of sudden breaking and swerving and I am not sure I am adjusted to the timezone just yet. We made it first to the department of education, it was somewhat intimidating and I was nervous. We were prepped by Anna and Olga...wow, they are very nice and are taking very good care of us. They asked "how were we prepared for this child"...I really wasn't sure what they meant...so I just started talking and waving my hands, of course Olga is there translating so I am looking at her and then looking at the official. People were smiling so I assumed things were okay, and I just kept talking...and then it was over and we left. People were still smiling and we signed some papers and that was it. Back into the car and an hour car ride probably to only go about 10 miles. Stop, break, swerve...for the next hour.
1 comment:
AHHHHH!!!!!! It is with tears that I scream YAY!!!!!!!!! Praise God for this precious little boy. The photos are amazing! We love you guys and can hardly wait to meet him!
Love,
Carrie
Post a Comment