So today is our last day to visit the orphanage. I woke up with such a bad attitude. I really was missing my little guy at home, it is so hard to continue to connect and get to know our little boy when I know we won't see him again for at least a month and how do we explain that to him at 14 months old, and I was a little frustrated with not understanding a thing any one says to me. :) So, Jeff and I applied for the Shaohannah's Hope grant. In the mail with our confirmation that they received our application was a 14 day devotion. I grabbed it when I was packing. I thought that it would be quite fitting for our trip. Well this morning as I am eating my yogurt(that we picked up from the grocery store - that I have no idea if it is full fat, low fat or no fat or even yogurt for that matter because all I can read it the picture of a strawberry) with a granola bar that we brought from home I am reading the devotion. "God desires that we step out together as His body and love these children as our own; we are the spiritual house in which He dwells here on earth." OK - so I guess I am feeling pretty shallow. Isn't God amazing? This is really the kick in the pants that I needed today. Too bad there isn't some way that we could take all of them home with me.
Today when we got to the orphanage Konabek is looking for us. They are outside playing and he is sitting in a stroller and sees us come in and then he waves! Wow - how awesome is that! In the 3 days that we have known him he has come so far. In the beginning he was barely even looking around and now he was waving... What a sweetie. We grabbed him and took him to play. By now they are pretty laid back with us. We found a little play area in the back with a little Step 2 house. He loved it! I think we spent about 45 - 1 hour playing in the house. I wonder if he has ever played in one before. He thought opening and closing the door was the coolest thing and then he was going in and out and walking around the inside. He has become quite independent. He did not want help! He was doing great. We also heard him speak something... That is the first time I have heard him say anything. I don't know what he said or if it was english, russian or even a word! But - it was cool... He loved sitting on the ground and just exploring and picking up leaves and sticks. I can't wait to introduce him to his big brother who loves dirt, bugs, mud, you name it - he will check it out. I hope that they weren't too mad about him sitting on the ground. They don't seem to let them do that. He was so dirty and wet (it had just rained) by the time he went back in. Later as we were walking around I was carrying him when he looked pretty worn out. He started to fall asleep on me. We visited two times today. Leaving the 2nd time was the hardest. We had to give him back to the caretakers. As we were walking out the gate, he scooted up on a toy to watch us leave and then he walked along that closer to us. He crawled to a closer toy and then was standing up to something else. All I could see was his little face peaking over this toy and his hands. His hands were waving good-bye. What a sweetie...
I just want this process to be over so we can get him home and I don't have to have one boy in the US and one boy in Russia. Breaks my heart. Every trip we take either way is bittersweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment